Surrey United Soccer Club - Senior /Adult
2011 Nationals Roundup October 5, 2011 -  By Marion F. Dent, Press Correspondent


Brossard QC - After acclimatizing themselves for two days in Montreal, Surrey United ladies finally took to the field on a beautiful sunny day in la belle province marred only by some very strong winds that were sure to figure in the play and indeed the outcome of some of the games. United playing against the wind in the first half got off to a dream start scoring the first goal of the entire tournament in the second minute of play. Chelsey Hannesson’s strong run down the left saw her perfect cross slammed home from close range by Rachael Pelat. Despite the fast start Surrey struggled to come to grips with the conditions and were forced back on their heels by a feisty Newfoundland team whose long ball game brought them two first half goals from Erika Lannon and then a go ahead marker from Kaelyn Burke. With the wind at their backs in the secondframe United looked a little more determined at the start of the half and drew level in the 56th minute when Katie Thorlakson converted a penalty kick awarded for a hand ball against a Newfoundland defender.

Ten minutes later United took the lead when Pelat added her second of the game again finding the net with a close range effort after Hannesson had fired over the perfect cross. Four minutes later Surrey’s player of the game Aly Benes, who worked tirelessly throughout the entire game, added the fourth forcing the ball over the goal-line after the keeper failed to hold onto a fierce shot. United’s Nicole Stewart rounded out the scoring in the 90th minute converting a short corner routine that featured Megan Blaker and Kate Qually. The four goal come from behind second half was certainly an improvement but the overall performance will need a vast upgrade for tomorrow’s game against Alberta who cruised past Manitoba today with a 9-0 win. The BC and Alberta result tomorrow will go a long way to determining the eventual winner of the group.