Surrey United Soccer Club - Senior /Adult
Weekly Roundup: September 26-27, 2009



In North Vancouver on Saturday, Surrey United produced another fine performance to coast to a rather easy 5-0 victory over the very young and inexperienced Norvan Pacific. Playing-coach, Niall Thompson opened the scoring early in the tenth minute as he converted an excellent pass from young Joseph Martin into what proved to be the winning goal. Twenty minutes later Rizal Ganief scored with a penalty kick after a hand-ball infraction. Late in the first half, newly-signed Tyler Rosenlund added Surrey United’s third goal as he cleverly chipped the ball over the Norvan goalkeeper’s head after having been set up by Cam Wilson. Early in the second half, Wilson and Rosenlund reversed roles with Rosenlund becoming the provider and Wilson the finisher for Surrey United’s fourth goal. Late in the match, Rizal Ganief beat three Norvan defenders on an amazing run before slotting the ball into the back of the net for the game’s last marker. Defensively United continued to look solid in registering their third successive shut-out of the season with Drew Smiley recorded his second consecutive clean sheet.


After last week’s emphatic win United were brought back to earth with a 4-0 home defeat to Richmond Hibernians although the score-line flattered the opponents who held onto an 1-0 lead for the majority of the game before adding three late goals

In the closing ten minutes.


Surrey United’s young CAT ”B” team made their first official appearance in Vancouver at Kensington Park and continued on their winning ways beating the KLM Lions 3-1 and the win takes the team to the top of the table. The home team played the entire game with 10 men but despite being a numerical advantage in Surrey’s favour proved to be a major challenge as the experience KLM team packed their box and tried to play the whole game on the counter attack. Their strategy certainly frustrated the young Surrey players who found the home team hard to breakdown but they were finally rewarded for their territorial dominance in the 30th minute when Corey Bergen took a nice pass from Kirk Boechler down the left flank. Bergen cut into the center and fired a blazing shot to the top right corner of the net. United were forced on many occasions to take too many long range efforts which the KLM keeper dealt with comfortably. United grabbed their second goal and what proved to be the game winner right at the start of the second frame when in the 47th minute Lenny Longley, fired home from close range after a nice cross field pass from Corey Bergen. Longley added a second and his team’s third eight minutes later when he slammed home after Colin Grout’s precise pass set-up the striker. KLM ruined United’s shut-out scoring a late consolation goal on a play that looked suspiciously off-side. However, there was no room for any comeback as the home side was clearly out of gas, and content to wait for the final whistle. The young United team will be meeting their toughest opponent when they take on the second placed team Richmond next Sunday at Cloverdale Athletic Park.


Friday night saw the masters at Queens Park Stadium taking on Sapperton and after a sloppy first half display saw themselves 3-0 down 3-0 at the break. Sapperton took advantage of some uncharacteristic disorganized play by United in their own defensive third leaving keeper Angelo Bonato completely unprotected on all three goals.  A rousing half time tongue lashing saw United come out and take the play to Sapperton in the second half and their efforts were rewarded after only seven minutes when a fine individual effort by substitute Bill Jackson who, after receiving a pass from Kelly Bey, beat 3 players and then slotted a low shot past the Sapperton keeper. This gave Surrey just the impetuous they needed and they maintained constant pressure on Sapperton and midway through the half reduced the deficit when, United’s man of the match, Darren Villars showed his experience by stealing a ball from an unsuspecting Sapperton defender and then calmly chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net. This set the scene for a rousing final 20minutes but despite plenty of possession and scoring opportunities United came up short and were disappointed at not taking any points away from the game which their second half display deserved.


Surrey United missing the services of injured veterans Randee Hermus, Mylee Ross, Sharon Lehnert, Megan Blaker and Nicole Stewart produced a gutsy performance with their depleted roster to notch their third successive win of the season with a 1-0 victory over last season’s provincial finalists Richmond at Minoru Park on Saturday evening. In the first half Rachel Pelat came close to scoring for United and after bursting past two defenders she narrowly missed the target with a rising shot. A couple of Kate Qually free-kicks caused Richmond some problems as they flashed across the face of the goal but unfortunately they eluded the United’s forwards who just needed a touch to deflect the ball into the net. It was a stonewall performance by United who restricted Richmond to some long range shooting which did not trouble United keeper Theresa Nuttall who registered her second successive shut-out. With the game seemingly destined for a tie, Surrey won a corner in the second minute of added time and Qually’s brilliantly flighted kick was met by Pelat at the back post where her powerful header rocketed into the back of the net to secure the win.


Surrey United earned a point in their game against Vancouver Sabres with a last minute equalizer yet the story of the game was the same as in previous weeks where once again some poor finishing was the reason for losing points. Throughout the first half Surrey United had its chances with the most notable coming off a drive from the outside the penalty area by Kaitlyn Rowbottom whose hard rising shot was tipped over the cross-bar by the opposing keeper. In a game where the two sides appeared to be evenly matched, it took until 40 minute of the first half to break the deadlock. The goal came as a result of a direct kick taken by VGSC that produced a goalmouth scramble which United could only clear the ball to the top of the penalty area where it was collected by a Sabres player who drove a high hard struck ball over everyone's head into the top corner of the net. The second half saw a determined  Surrey United coming out very strong and pressing hard to get that all important goal, however, despite this new found determination by the Surrey United ladies, the second half like the first half provide plenty of chances by Surrey United with little to show for it. At both ends of the pitch the respective keepers were also prominent in their play thwarting goal scoring efforts by both sides. It took till about the 44 minute of the second half for United to grab the equalizer when midfielder Lora Brownlow on a great single effort beat two defenders before sending a perfectly timed chip shot over the outstretched hands of the advancing VGSC keeper and into the net.

Player of the Week

This week’s Player of the Week goes to the Men’s premier team striker Rizal Ganief whose two goals helped to send United to the top of the table.