Surrey United Soccer Club - Senior /Adult
Weekly Roundup: January 25, 2011  By Marion F. Dent, Press Correspondent



Surrey United extended their consecutive win streak to 6 games with a convincing 5-0 victory over Sapperton at Cloverdale Athletic Park on Sunday. The Firefighters started the game in a determined fashion and only two great saves by Sapperton’s goalkeeper Simon Postma denied Surrey strikers Angus Burke and Andrew Proctor from opening the scoring in the early stages of the match. However, in the 24th minute, Surrey United finally broke the deadlock when a Tom Lowndes corner-kick was only partially cleared to the top of the penalty area where former Whitecap Steve Kindel fired an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of the net. A few minutes later, the Firemen increased their lead when a Tom Lowndes throw-in was redirected by Proctor into the path of Burke who, after slipping by a defender, slotted the ball into the net, past the onrushing Postma. Fifteen minutes into the second half Surrey United added a third goal, this time with Burke becoming the provider and Proctor the finisher. Shortly thereafter, United scored again, this time striker Cam Wilson redirected Mason Webb’s low shot into the back of the net. Late in the match, after defender Brad Peetom’s header had bounced off the crossbar, the Firefighters added their fifth goal when Burke linked well with playing-coach Niall Thompson to create a close-range opportunity for Proctor who proceeded to slot the ball home for his second goal of the match. The entire Surrey United team played very well, with Paul Shepherd earning his third successive shut-out.

Mens Div A CAT

United’s “CAT” team travelled to Kensington Park on Sunday and played one of their best games of the season trouncing UBC Metropolitan 6-0. Surrey dominated right from the outset and the only surprise was that it took them until the 22nd minute to open the scoring when Chris Roots slotted home after fine work by Josh Possey and Trevor Tagieff. Fifteen minutes later Roots added his and United’s second with this time Ezra Fenwick and Billy Wilson assisting on the play. The critical moment of the game came one minute before the interval when Tagieff scored United’s third goal of the game to deflate UBC and pretty much secure the outcome. United strolled their way through the remainder of the game and added three further goals in the second frame with Lenny Longley bagging a brace and Joe Mincieli getting his first of the season. 

Mens Div B CAT

Surrey United “C” played Metro Ford Wolves “B” at Percy Perry Turf in Coquitlam, and got back to winning ways with an impressive 2-0 victory. The game started slowly, with both teams being cautious not to over-commit but there was still plenty of goalmouth action and both keepers had to make a couple of nice saves each to keep the score-line blank. Then finally at the 20th minute United’s Krisztian Turcsanyi took a fine cross from Colin Grout and hammered a laser beam, from 20 yards out, into the top right corner of the net. The contest was fairly very evenly for the rest of the half but in the second half the home team’s tactics changed and they started to play more aggressively, given their size advantage. Perhaps, frustrated that they could not score on a sharp Paul Moreau in United’s net, the home team amassed 4 Yellow cards, until finally they lost a player at 70 minutes, with a red.  The referee appeared to lose control of the situation and in the next phase of the game both teams lost 2 players to red cards. Eventually, the teams returned to their senses and then in the 86th minute Derek Toth added United’s second goal from close range after some fine set-up play from the Byron brothers Robert and Mark. Player of the game was a sharp Paul Moreau, who made a number of fine saves and allowed United to push forward in confidence.

Mens Master

Surrey United played league leading Columbus FC on Friday night at Burnaby Lake Field and United looked to stay on form after winning their last two matches on the road.  The game started as expected with both teams coming out strong and looking to establish an early foothold. Columbus FC were the early aggressors through the first 10 minutes but United stayed composed in the back and limited the home team's scoring opportunities.  Surrey started to control the possession shortly after and worked the ball nicely through their midfield.  Both Carson Drayson and Kelly Bey had strong games in the center of the park seemingly outworking their opponents and winning the 50/50 balls.  Surrey's hard work paid off in 25th minute when Murray Howes played a nice ball to Brent Roberts who was making a run down the right side of the field.  Roberts used his speed to blow past his marker and then with pace made a nice move to get past their left back and fired a wicked shot from 35 yards out to beat the Columbus keeper top corner.  Surrey continued to apply offensive pressure and had several more scoring opportunities off dangerous crosses from Russ Rawson and Brent Roberts on the flanks.  Columbus however tied the game up with 8 minutes remaining in the first half when their right midfielder drove cross into the middle where it deflected off a Surrey defender’s head into the top corner.  The second half was similar to the first with Surrey playing a nice possession game and creating chances through distributing the ball through the center of the park.  In the 60th and 65th minutes Dave Harkison and Billy Jackson both had close range shots stopped by the Columbus keeper to keep the home team in the game.  During the last 10 minutes of the game the action was end to end with both teams looking for the full 3 points.  In the 80th minute Columbus had a flurry of opportunities and on one occasion after Surrey Goalie Rick Gill made a nice save the ball deflected to the Columbus striker whose goal-bound shot was miraculously blocked on the line by the Surrey midfielder Mike Cain.  In the 85th minute Jackson played a beautiful ball to Howes at the top of the 18 where he proceeded to hit a one time volley to the top corner only to see the Columbus goalie make an incredible acrobatic save. The game ended a 1 - 1 tie with both teams deserving of a point.  The game also marked the first game of the year for Surrey United's new signing Brian Donald who came on at the end of the first half and played a solid second half to anchor United's back line.


Surrey United Ladies Premier team finally returned to action playing their first competitive game since December 12th and while they looked a little rusty they were nevertheless full value for their 2-0 victory over League runners-up Burnaby Canadians at Cloverdale Athletic Park on Sunday and extended their consecutive win streak to 10games. United took the lead in the 15th minute when April Coffin broke down the left and fired over a cross that Randee Hermus touched into the path of Megan Blaker who deflected the ball past the visiting keeper. United dominated most of the possession but could convert their possession into any further goals before the interval. Five minutes after the re-start Coffin almost got the insurance marker but her shot just drifted wide of the left upright and then in the 63rd minute Nicole Stewart came close but her first time volley also finished the wrong side of the post. However, in the 71st minute United finally grabbed the insurance marker when Kate Qually’s brilliant corner-kick from the right eluded the outstretched clutches of the Burnaby net-minder and flew directly into the net. Some strong defensive play from Surrey limited Burnaby to the occasional shot and the visitors’ best chance to score came in the 89th minute but the effort drifted wide of the goal enabling Theresa Nuttall to earn the shut-out.

Womens Division One

After just over a month lay-off due to holiday/weather conditions, United returned to action with a 6.30pm Sunday night encounter at White Rock and after going down by two goals came back strongly to earn a tie against a much improved White Rock team. Surrey started the game with just two substitutes available and in the early going took the play to the White Rock but despite dominating the play United was unable to capitalize in the final third and were thwarted by some fine saves from home side’s goalkeeper. White Rock gained confidence from this and suddenly within the span of five minutes scored on their first two shots of the game which rocked the United side and left them trailing by two at the interval. However some stern half time words appeared to do the trick and ten minutes into the second half striker Tina Southerby finally found the back of White Rock's net to reduce the deficit. Much of the credit on the play belongs to the efforts of her teammates Rosie Gryma and Nikki Carchesio whose hard work and determination set up the opportunity. Fifteen minutes later United thought they had leveled the score when Southerby found the upper inside part of White Rock's net, however, it was ultimately ruled no goal by the game official. Surrey continued to press for the equalizer and then with five minutes remaining in the game was rewarded when midfielder Claire McMinnon took a nice forward pass from defender Jaide Helgason and hammered a powerful shot into the top left corner of the net. The game ball for this match was award to striker Sam Pither who although did not figure in the scoring  was a constant threat to the White Rock defence.

Player of the Week

This week’s Player of the Week goes to Men’s premier striker Andrew Proctor whose two goals and an assist enabled the Mens Premier team to beat Sapperton 5-0 and register their sixth successive victory.